Northland Cathedral was founded in 1935 in North Kansas City, Missouri by Rev. A.A. Wilson. On Easter Sunday 1962, ground was broken for a new building on a hill on NE 46th Street. One year later, the first service was held in the church of stained glass by Rev. R. A. McClure. Just over 10 years later under the leadership of Rev. Clinton Vanzant, a larger sanctuary was built adjacent to "McClure Hall" and the name of the church was officially changed to Northland Cathedral. In 1988, the church purchased 120 acres at 95th Terrace between N. Oak Trafficway and 169 Highway.
In 1989, Rev. J. Lowell Harrup came to lead the congregation. In April, 1992, Northland Cathedral mothered a church in Platte City, Christ Chapel, supplying finance and members. The new church was self-supporting from the first week.
In February 1994, Northland Cathedral began broadcasting "Life Worth Living" on Fox4 television. During that same time, money was raised to refurbish the entire 46th Street facility, repave the parking lot, construct an entranceway, and pay off the property purchased in 1988. Twenty additional acres were purchased to complete a 140 acre plot of land.
In 1997, work was begun on planning for construction of facilities at the new property. Groundbreaking took place in 2000, and the first phase was completed in September, 2001. This phase included a Fellowship Commons (presently used for worship), a Family Life Center, large educational facilities and sufficient administrative capacity. An auditorium complex will come later.
The beautiful grounds are used for many activities that are focused on community involvement. Of the one hundred forty acres, sixty plus are plated for actual church development.